Thursday, July 10, 2014

Felt Beach Blanket

I am so blessed to live on the shore… there is something about the ocean that grounds me (does that make sense?). It reminds me of how small I am in this vast world and that comforts me… keeps me from letting my everyday stresses take over my life.

Of course, I’m white as a ghost and don’t tolerate the sun for very long, even with SPF ten billion on, but I try anyways. It occurred to me a week or so ago that J and I only own two beach towels… and we always use them to sleep on at the beach as well as dry off with. Which creates a dilemma….sand gets, er, everywhere and the towels stay wet. Growing up, we had an off-white felt beach blanket that we kept in the car at all times. It was huge, it didn’t hold sand, and it dried super fast. I have no idea where my parents got it or if they even know how awesome it was, but it was still perfect. So I decided to try to make one for our beach day this past weekend.

IMG_20140705_152937_658

What you will need:
- 2 yards soft felt
- felt decorative decals (made by you or pre-cut)
- The Usual Suspects: thread, sewing machine, scissors

1. After tidying your edges, pin a 2 inch seam. I like a substantial blanket edge. Don’t forget to miter your corners prior to sewing (learn from me, it is a huge pain to try to do it as you go along).

IMG_20140705_095856_957 

IMG_20140705_104536_118 IMG_20140705_112235_111

2. Sew the edge of your blanket. I like the serge stitch – it holds up the best under wear and tear.

3. Sew on some felt decals. You could always embroider, cut your own decals, or go to town with any other accents. I happened upon some cute nautical felt decals at the store (in the kids craft section) for about .75 a piece.

IMG_20140705_115712_257

4. Head to the shore!! Super easy beach blanket…. and cost me less than $10!

IMG_20140705_152937_658

See? Full of sand already… but shakes right off.

IMG_20140705_152951_226

Nice set-up eh? Cheers, from the Mister! For a little town pride we brought some local beer from Two Roads Brewing Co. Delicious craft beer – worth a try!

FYI- I chose baby blue because I wanted something that wouldn’t hold heat. I was so tempted to do a red or cobalt, but I was afraid they would hold too much heat.

Happy Beach-ing!

Thanks for stopping by!
Cheers,
Bridge XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment