Thursday, January 24, 2013

Fleece Scarf with Bow Appliqués


I am completely in love with this scarf.  There is something so cute about bows and they never seem to get old. Now we are seeing them more and more in high fashion on wedding gowns… I even almost bought a hot pink shirt at Ann Taylor Loft that was covered in a bow print. Don’t worry, I stopped myself… and pledged to find a way to incorporate bows in a different way into my wardrobe.

Due to the deep freeze here in Connecticut and most of the Northeast and Middle America, below zero temperatures are forcing us to bundle up with even more layers. So, my days in scarf design are far from over… and I love it! This is my latest – long scarf with bow appliqués. Cute, classy, and feminine… maybe it will bring some cheer in this miserable weather. Also, if you are seeing a color trend with all of my scarves it’s because I bought way too much fleece last month during a clearance spree. Forgive me, I’m a hopeless sale shopper.


Fleece Scarf with Bow Appliqués

What you will need:
  • Fleece – I used about a half yard in scraps here and paneled them… feel free to make your scarf as short or long as you want. Length: 72” long, 12” wide
  • Scraps for bows – Again, I used scraps here, but two strips of 12”L x 6”W of fleece or a cute fabric will work great
  • The Usual Suspects: sewing machine, needle, thread, scissors

Step One: Make your scarf. I finished the edges by folding and sewing a seam on all sides. I like my scarves to be long so I can double them up if it’s really cold.


Step Two: Make your bows!
Take your bow piece of fleece and cut a 1" strip off of the end

Fold the longest piece with right side in and sew closed

Turn loop right side out with seam in the middle toward back

Pinch loop in the middle

Around middle, wrap spare strip that you cut off at the start

At back, whip stitch end of wrap to keep it in place. Done!



Step Three: Fascine your bows to the scarf by whip stitching the middle to the scarf and then stitching all four corners of the bow to the scarf.


Now check out your adorable scarf. Seriously, how easy was that? And it looks amazing!





Thanks for stopping by!
Cheers,
Bridget, XOXO

1 comment: