Monday, December 31, 2012

Simple Baby Blanket


          I mentioned in one of my previous posts that it’s baby season in my family… half of my cousins have had a little one in the past few months and they’re still coming! My cousin Tracy’s baby shower just happened and although I made this blanket at the beginning of the month, I couldn’t post this tutorial without spoiling her gift! I had found myself in Joann’s wandering in the fabric idles (like the vortex they are) and somehow ogling over the cutest baby prints I have ever seen. If you’re like me and don’t have kids, you might also be like me and jump at the chance to use those ADORABLE fabrics that you would never have a reason to sew with – unless a baby is coming. So, I filled my cart. Then I emptied my cart like a good girl, and picked just a few of my favorites. Tracy has a theme for her nursery – grey and gold-yellow. I also know that she loves elephants, but none of the elephant prints lived up to my standards of gushingly cute. So I got some whales, which her mom confirmed she also likes haha. And this is what I did with them:


Simple Baby Blanket

You Will Need:
  • One Yard of two different fabrics (I used some soft flannel)
  • The Usual Suspects: thread, scissors, sewing machine

 Step 1: Press and square off your fabric. I struggle with this every single time I make anything. I’m still looking for the best way to do it. I followed this video that helped: Squaring Fabric

Step 2: Once your two fabrics are square, make sure they line up and are the same size – adjust accordingly.

Step 3: Place fabrics right sides together and sew along entire edge, leaving a small opening at the end to turn the blanket right side out.


Step 4: Turn your blanket right side out. Blind stitch or top stitch that opening closed.

Step 5: Sew a second topstich seam along the edge of the blanket, approximately 1 ½ inches from edge.


Thanks for stopping by!
Bridget, XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment