Saturday, November 17, 2012

Slate Cheese Board

   I can’t tell you how frequently people are surprised by my crafty side. It makes me laugh when people are shocked that I have made something… it makes me feel a little bit like I have an alter ego or something. Like most people, I’m a professional at work and I’m somebody else at home – a partner, a homemaker, a cook, an eater, a bum. Therefore, most of my coworkers and former classmates have never really met craftybridge. Of course, writing a blog about my creative side bridges the gap between my two just a bit haha. 

          This project showcases the alter ego of slate tiles… making slate tiles into chic cheese boards with a chalkboard accent! Dirt cheap and super simple, this craft will make you just as giddy as I was when I made it…


Slate Cheese Board

What You Will Need:
  • Slate Tile(s) - $1.69 at Home Depot (12x12”)
  • Chalkboard Paint
  • Silicone Caulking
  • Chalk

Step 1: Scrub the Dickens out of that tile. It came from Home Depot. Soap and Water. Scrub – a –dub – dub.


Step 2: Once the tile is dry, paint one layer of chalkboard paint onto a section of the tile.


Step 3: Paint another coat of chalkboard paint once the first coat is dry.

Step 4: Once the paint is dry, flip the tile over. Pipe silicone around the edges and in consecutive squares towards the middle of the tile (see picture). This will protect any counters or tables that the tile is placed on.  Let dry according to package instructions.




Add a piece of chalk and throw yourself a wine and cheese party. You rock.

Please note: handwash only

Would make an amazing gift! Maybe even pair two together? Let me know how yours turns out!!

Cheers, Bridget XOXO

2 comments:

  1. In preparation for my annual Christmas cook-off (I always like to shock the hell out of my family with what I can actually do in a kitchen!) I started to prepare my list last night. This year's menu I've opted to do a rather extravagant cheese & meat platter- and today I set out to find something. I opted to make my own as I wanted something large, bought a beautiful 12"x24" black slate tile at Lowes ($6) and bought a roll of cork to back it ($8.97, with LOTS left over to make additional ones as gifts in the future!!). I pulled out my dremel with a coarse bit on it and just rounded off the corners and edges of the tile to eliminate sharp edges, and gave it a good scrub with soap and water. I cut the cork to fit the bottom, hot glued it on, and have given it a good mineral oil rubbing to seal it (already had it for my cutting boards, but is available at Ikea for around $8, huge bottle lasts forever!) I cannot wait to put the whole presentation together on it!! Total DIY cost... under $20... with materials to spare when I need to make a dinner party gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous! I bet your Christmas cook-off was amazing! You took this slate tile to a totally new level and I am so impressed and inspired. I never thought to use mineral oil - what a GREAT idea. I'm so glad you found my post and were able to use it!! Happy New Year!

      Delete